Polished concrete is a durable and elegant type of flooring that can be installed in commercial and residential properties alike. Once installed, your concrete floors will be able to withstand plenty of traffic and they will look fantastic for years to come. Like all things in life, it is important to make sure that your new floors are properly installed.
If inferior products are used or if the team is not properly trained in performing such an installation, it can have a serious impact on the quality of your floors. Being prepared and knowing what to look for will help you choose the best of the best. Here are a few important points to keep in mind and questions to ask before the installation begins.
Finding Reputable Professionals
The first point that must be addressed is the reputation of the company you plan on hiring. There is no substitute for experience in this industry, which is why you want to choose a team with sufficient skills and expertise. It’s not just about the way your floors look when they are done, but also the matter of durability. So, do yourself a favor and make sure that you look into the history of the company and customer reviews.
Understand the Process
There are several steps involved in commercial polishing, particularly when it comes to the process of installing polished concrete floors. These steps largely depend on the intended use of the flooring and where it will be installed.
- Floors that will experience heavy loads should have a reinforced frame installed.
- A level base should be poured in order to ensure the best final results.
- In the case of a ground base, proper preparation must be done in order to prevent cracks.
- If there is already a concrete floor in the room, it will need to be cleaned thoroughly. Cracks will need to be filled and debris must be removed.
- The concrete is poured and leveled.
- The hardening process can take several days and it is important not to rush the step.
- The floor can now be polished using specialized equipment such as grinders. Extra care must be taken or the bottom part of the walls will end up with scratches.
- The floor can then be sealed and, during this process, the area must be perfectly protected against any debris such as leaves, dirt and insects.
- Once complete, the floors need appropriately half an hour to dry.
Ask the Right Questions
Apart from looking into the reputation of your polished concrete supplier and understanding each step involved, you should also ask as many questions as possible. Here are some of the questions you need to ask:
- Do you use a strength densifier? (A hardener or densifier significantly strengthens the concrete floor so it’s important to know exactly what your floors will be made up of)
- Do you apply a sealer? (Sealers are great for extra shine and they help protect the floor. Not all experts apply sealers so it’s important that you ask about this before you agree to the installation)
- How many cuts will be made? (If you already have concrete floors and you would like them refinished, you should make sure that you understand how many steps will be involved)
At Polished Floors, we have more than 15 years of experience installing polished concrete flooring in residential and commercial spaces throughout the GTA. We are dedicated to providing every client with the very best quality flooring at the most affordable prices.
From installation and polishing to repairs, resurfacing and even engraving, our team is trained and prepared to handle all your concrete flooring needs. So if you need commercial polishing from a trusted and reliable team, contact us at (905) 731-7085 today.